Join Camp Granite Lake as a Camp Chef!
You are taking the first steps to an amazing summer job experience that will impact YOU as much as you impact the children. The most successful Camp Granite Lake staff members are those with the drive and excitement to provide a great summer camp growth experience to children.
Chef Job Description
2024 Dates: June 4th – August 10th
Summary: The Camp Chefs work alongside the Camp Directors in kitchen operations, menu planning, ordering, inventory, and kitchen staff management to provide nutritious, well-prepared meals for campers, staff, and guests.
Reports To: Kitchen Manager and Camp Directors
The Camp Granite Lake staff are committed to creating a supportive, inclusive, and ‘unplugged’ environment where campers, directors, and staff live and work collaboratively. They are willing to work hard and make day to day decisions, in and out of camp, that reflect everyone’s commitment to our campers’ experience.
Job Functions: As a Camp Chef at Camp Granite Lake, your duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee both front and back of house operations.
- Prepare and cook food per the menu including camp snacks, and off-site meals as needed.
- Oversee kitchen operations, such as maintaining proper serving temperatures, ensuring proper rotation of the inventory, and receiving food deliveries.
- Oversee the sanitation program of all food preparation areas, storage rooms, dishwashing program, kitchen restrooms, and laundry area.
- Coordinate schedules and job tasks with other chefs and the hospitality director. Directly manage kitchen staff during scheduled shifts.
- Assist with menu planning and ordering, including meal options for staff and campers with food allergies and special diets.
Requirements: To qualify for the position of Camp Chef, you must meet the following:
- 1-2 years of experience working in a kitchen in a cooking/managing capacity
- Experience managing staff in a food service setting (oversight of assigned daily tasks)
- Knowledge of standards of food preparation and service, storage of food, and kitchen protocols.
- Knowledge of preparing and serving 200+ guests per meal
- Knowledge and understanding of food allergies and special dietary needs.
- Strongly focused on food safety & daily operation
- ServSafe Food Handlers Certification
- Desire to work with and around young adults and children in a youth development setting.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and physical site hazards, including camper staff behavior as needed.
- Physical ability to operate kitchen equipment according to safe using recommended methods. Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds, a minimum of 100 feet, while at high altitude. Physical mobility endurance to perform tasks while standing/walking for long periods.
- Must submit health history records and other human resources forms.
- 21 years of age or older
- Must be fully immunized.
Desired Qualifications: The following qualifications are desirable but not mandatory:
- Culinary degree or/ equivalent experience in institutional food service or catering setting
- Serve Safe Manager Certified
- Previous experience with food purchasing and inventory management.
- Previous experience in a camp or camp-like environment
- Kitchen Spanish
As a Camp Chef, you must work well in a team environment and have strong communication skills. You must be prepared to step in and accomplish all aspects of kitchen responsibilities, providing an excellent experience to our campers and staff and serving as a role model to those you manage and work alongside.
Compensation: Salary starts at $800/weekly for in-residence chefs include room & board, access to high speed internet, friendly work environment and casual dress code. If applicant lives within commuting distance, accommodations can be made in salary and shift structure.
- Read the Kitchen and Facilities Hiring Packet
- To apply, please send a resume to email@example.com